Muhurta is an important pillar of Astrology. Muhurta has been dealt with extensively in Muhurta Chintamani. Brihat Sambila and in other classics. Muhurta is selected to ensure smooth unhindered completion of some important tasks. In transit, planets go on producing numerous planetary combinations. (Some of these are auspicious while some others are inauspicious.
Working out the auspicious muhurtas and utilising them for the appropriate activity helps in smooth completion of the activity. Identification of a suitable moment for the commencement of any activity is known as the determination of Muhurta. Muhurta cannot change the circumstances but it can change their direction. Commencing an activity in a good muhurta can improve one's destiny. The wise have mentioned different muhurtas for different types of activities. There are 30 muhurtas in one day and night. There are 15 day muhurtas and 15 night muhurtas. They are based on the 27 nakshatras. Ardra and Rohini nakshatras are in the day and also in the night. In the day time Ardra is called Gireesh and during the night it is called Shiva or Rudra, Rohini is called Vidhata during the day and Dhatra Swami during the night. Dividing the Dinman by 15 gives the duration of one muhurta. If the Dinman is of 30 ghatis and 15 palas, then dividing this by 15 gives the duration of one muhurta as 2 ghatis and 1 pala. One ghati is equal to 24 minutes and one pala is equal to 24 seconds. This gives the duration of one muhurta as 48 minutes and 24 seconds in this case. However duration of muhurta varies according to the duration of dinman. Atharvaveda gives guidelines for commencing an activity in an auspicious muhurta.
The puranas describe 15 'Sarva Sidhiprada' muhurtas. Of these 8 are especially auspicious. The first position belongs to Abhijeet muhurta. This is also known as the Vijay muhurta. 'Abhijeet muhurta' is available every day from 11.45 AM to 12.30PM. According to Naiad purana', Abhijeet muhurta starts at 11.36 AM and ends at 12.24 PM. Activity started in this muhurta normally succeeds and no other considerations are required for this muhurta.
Some Important Muhurtas for Vastu Work
Muhurta for Shanti and Paushtika Karya
Nakshatras : Ashwini, Pushya, Hasta, Uttarashadha, Uttar Phalguni, Uttar, Bhadrapada, Rohini, Revati, Shravan, Dhanishta, Shatbhisha, Punarvasu, Swati, Anuradha and Magha.
Days : Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Tithis : 2, 3, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13
Muhurta for foundation (Khata) for house construction
Nakshatras : Shravan, Mrigshira, Revati, Hasta, Rohini, Pushya and the 3 Uttaras are auspicious for khata purpose.
- Jupiter occupied pushya, 3 Uttaras, Rohini, Mrigshira and Shravan nakshatras on Thursday are very auspicious. If house construction is started in these nakshatras then the house gives sons and royal status
- 'Shilanyas' in Ashwini, Chitra, Vishakha, Dhanishtha, Shatbhisha and Ardra nakshatras falling on Friday is auspicious. It bestows prosperity
- 'Foundation Laying' on Wednesday in Ashwini, Rohini, Poorvaphalguni, Chitra and Hasta nakshatras is a producer of prosperity, progeny and happiness
- 'Griha arambha' when Jupiter, Venus, Sun and Moon are exalted and strong produces very auspicious results
Foundation laying in the following situations gives these results :
|Result of Sun in different Signs|
|Sun in Aries||Status Bestowing|
|Sun in Taurus||Enhances Prosperity|
|Sun in Cancer||Auspicious|
|Sun in Leo||Many Servants|
|Sun in Libra||Happiness Giving|
|Sun in Scorpio||Financial Gains|
|Sun in Capricorn||Financial Gains|
|Sun in Aquarius||Gain of Gems|
- Griha arambha' should be done in fixed or dual lagnas occupied or aspected by benefic planets
- According to Maharishi Parashar, if someone performs Vastu puja in Chitra, Shatbhisha, Swati, Hasta, Pushya, Punarvasu, Rohini, Revati, Moola, Shravan, Uttarphalguni, Dhanishtha, Uttarashadha, Uttarbhadrapada, Ashwini, Mrigshira and Anuradha nakshatras then he gains wealth (Lakshmi)
- 'Khata' muhurta is auspicious on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The auspicious tithis are 3,5,11 and 13. Khata muhurta should always be kept in the morning. Muhurta at noon is trouble producing for the owner and muhurta in the evening creates discord and disputes in the family.
Griha arambha is Forbidden On
- 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 30th tithis
- 1, 4, 9, 14th tithis of shukla paksha should be avoided. Malefic yogas like Vyatipata should also be avoided
- Avoid griha arambha on Sunday and Tuesday
- Avoid griha arambha in Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn (movable) lagnas
- Make the horoscope of griha arambha muhurta. If the malefic planets are placed in 3rd, 6th and 11th houses, then don't start construction
- If benefic planets are placed in the 6th, 8th and the 12th houses, then also avoid construction
- If Mars occupied Hasta, Pushya, Revati, Magha, Poorva ashadha and Moola nakshatras are falling on Tuesday, then avoid griha arambha, because such a house produces danger of fire, thefts and discord with the sons
- Saturn occupied Poorvabhadrapada, Uttarbhadrapada, Jyeshtha, Anuradha, Swati and Bharni nakshatras falling on Saturday are avoidable, because such a house is occupied by ghosts and demons
- If Sun is weak or debilitated on the griha arambha day then the owner has an untimely death
- If Moon is weak or combust or debilitated on the griha arambha day then the lady of the house has an untimely death
- Jupiter weak, combust or debilitated on griha arambha day causes destruction of wealth
- Avoid griha arambha on rikta tithis i.e. 4, 9, 14
- Do not start construction of a new house when Sun is in Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius or Pisces
Muhurta for Griha Pravesh
Guru Vashishta Says :
माद्येऽर्थलाभः प्रथमप्रवेशे पुत्रार्थलाभः खलु फाल्गुने च |
चैत्रोऽर्थहानिर्धननधान्य लाभो वैशाखमासे पशुपुत्रा लाभ |
ज्येष्ठे च मासेषु नूनं हानिप्रदः शत्रुभयप्रदश्च |
शुक्ले च पक्षे सुतरां विवृद्घ्ये कृष्ण ये यावद्दशमी च तावत |
|Muhurta for Griha Pravesh|
|Griha pravesh in||Produces|
|Magha Month||Gains for the Owner|
|Phalguna Month||Gain of Son and Wealth|
|Vaishakha Month||Gain of Wealth and Good Food|
|Jyeshtha Month||Gain of Son and Animals|
|Other Months||Danger from Enemies and is Harmful|
|Shukla Paksha||Special Gains and Enhancement|
|Up to Dashami of Krishna Paksha||Beneficial|
According to Vishwakarma, the months of Kartik and Margashirsha are also auspicious.
|Auspicious Muhurta for Griha Pravesh Acceptable Months|
|Best Months||Magha, Phalgun, Jyeshtha and Baisakha.|
|Medium Months||Kartik, Shravan and Margashirsha.|
|Avoidable Months||Ashadha, Bhadrapad, Ashwin, Pausha and Chaitra.|
|Acceptable Tithis||Dwitiya 2, Tritiya 3, Panchami 5, Shashthi 6, Saptami 7, Dashami 10, Ekadashi 11, Dwadashi 12, Trayodashi 13 and Poornima 15 are praised for griha pravesh.|
|Acceptable Days||Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and suitable for griha pravesh while Saturday is considered to be medium.|
|Acceptable Nakshatras||Rohini, Mrigshira, Uttaraphalguni, Chitra, Anuradha, Pushya, Uttarashadha, Dhanishtha, Shatbhisha, Uttarabhadrapad and Revati nakshatras are considered to be suitable for griha pravesh.|
Best are the fixed lagnas which are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius.
Average are the dual lagnas which are Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces.
Nakshatra according to the directions of the Door
- If the new door is in the East then Revati and Mrigshira are auspicious for griha pravesh
- If the door is in the South then Uttaraphalguni and Chitra are suitable
- If the door is in the West then Anuradha and Uttarashadha are suitable
- If the door is in the North then Uttar Bhadrapada and Revati are auspicious for griha pravesh
Benefic planets should be placed in the first, second, third, fifth, seventh, ninth, tenth and the eleventh houses of the muhurta lagna. Malefics should be placed in the third, sixth or the eleventh house. Fourth and the eighth house should be unoccupied by any planet.
Vama Ravi Consideration
Ravi vichar is done for the griha pravesh lagna.
- If Sun is placed in any house between the fourth and the eighth house then it is vama for entering into to a house with the door in the East. This would be auspicious
- If Sun is placed between the fifth and the ninth house then it is vama for entering a house with a door in the South
- If Sun is placed between the second and the sixth house then it is vama for entering a house with a door in the West
- If Sun is placed between the eleventh and the third house then it is vama for entering a house with a door in the North
These are considered favourable.
Example : In the given horoscope of Leo lagna, Sun is placed in the twelfth house, which is vama and auspicious for entering into a house with a door in the North. The door of the concerned house is in the West, so the muhurta is not suitable for grih pravesh.
|Direction of the Door & Auspicious tithis for Grih Pravesh|
|Door in||Auspicious Tithis for griha pravesh|
|East||5, 10, 15 (Pooma)|
|South||1, 6, 1 1 (Nanda)|
|West||2, 7, 12 (Bhadra)|
|North||3, 8, 13 (Jaya)|
Apart from these muhurtas there are some other muhurtas which are used in Vastu.
Muhurta for digging a well
- For digging a well Hasta, Anuradha, Revati, Uttaraphalguni, Uttarashadha, Uttarabhadrapad, Dhanishtha, shatbhisha, Magha, Rohini, Pushya, Mrigshira and Poorvashadha nakshatras are suitable
- Dwitiya, Tritiya, Panchami, Saptami, Dashami, Ekadashi, Dwadashi, Trayodashi and Poornima tithis are suitable
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are suitable for digging a well